Fare Thee Well 2010
I’m not going to list predictions here, nor will I list resolutions (if you really want to view some HR resolutions, including mine, visit XpertHR).
Tonight at midnight I’ll be saying “welcome” to 2011 and the future. But for now I want to think about what 2010 has been like:
- I made a trip to HRevolution, having missed the inaugural 2009 event. Every superlative I could toss at it would fit – amazing, incredible, outstanding. I met fantastic people IRL, all of whom continue to inspire me, challenge me, and make me a better HR leader.
- I began to blog – tentatively at first with guest posts on other sites (thanks Trish, Charlie, Ben!) and then over at the fantastic Women of HR site. Ultimately, a trip to HR Florida was the catalyst I needed to start HR Schoolhouse. I know I won’t be setting the world on fire here, but I am quite enjoying my little corner of the interwebz.
- I joined the newly formed Baton Rouge Social Media Club – 100’s of members – 1 in HR. Uh yeah…it was me.
- I stayed the course and steered the HR ship at work, hopefully doing the best for my organization as we undertook some pretty huge initiatives and worked though some significant change – industry change, organizational change and regulatory/legislative change. Things were certainly never dull.
- I saw friends and family members deal with loss of job, loss of savings and loss of hope.
- I sat on some business and HR panels at events/conferences, did an on-camera interview (!), got involved with Geaux Veterans, and attended some conferences where I watched HR people dance, muscle each other out of the way for swag, and make an end-of-the-day run through the drive-thru daiquiri shop. (OK – that last one was me).
- I championed our profession and tried to promote what we, as HR professionals, can be and should be. And yes, I may have taken a gentle jab or two, but I continued to work from within the system – SHRM. It was a frenzied year with duties at the chapter and state level, and an ASTD board role as well, and I spent many a night/weekend doing volunteer duties.
Oh – and lest anyone forget, the Saints just happened to win a little thing called SUPER BOWL XLIV!
So dear 2010 – let me just say – fare thee well and adieu.